The clock is ticking on the most successful managerial reign in Premier League history. As of Wednesday, February 4, 2026, the football world is buzzing with reports that Pep Guardiola is unlikely to renew his contract at Manchester City when it expires in June 2027.
Even more shocking, top sources including The Athletic and The Times suggest there is an "extremely strong chance" the 55-year-old could walk away as early as this summer (June 2026)—a full year before his deal officially ends.
The "Clever" Contract Strategy
When Pep signed a two-year extension in November 2024, many viewed it as a long-term commitment. However, insiders now believe the deal was a strategic move to:
Deflect Speculation: By signing until 2027, Pep removed the "lame duck" narrative during the 25/26 season.
Controlled Transition: It gives the club hierarchy—led by new Sporting Director Hugo Viana—time to plan a succession without the chaos of a mid-season announcement.
Motivation Check: Rival managers reportedly believe Pep has "lost some motivation" for the project after nearly a decade of dominance and a challenging 2025/26 title race against Arsenal.
In His Own Words: "I Handled Everything"
Guardiola has been uncharacteristically spiky about the rumors. In a recent press conference, he famously shut down questions by saying:
"I have a contract. I've said it a thousand million times. I know you are bored of me... you want me to leave? Yeah, I'm pretty sure of that. But I am here now."
Despite his defiance, Pep previously told ESPN Brasil in May 2025: "After my contract with City, I’m going to stop. I am sure. I’m going to take a break."
The Verdict: Whether it’s 2026 or 2027, we are officially in the "Last Dance" era of Pep Guardiola at Manchester City. The recent arrivals of stars like Antoine Semenyo and Marc Guéhi suggest the club is building a squad that can thrive even after the architect has moved on.